The Student News Source of Wylie High School

The Compass

The Compass

The Compass

AFJROTC Cadet is Recognized for Dedicated Work

November 1, 2023, JROTC Cadets were asked to have a meeting without knowing what for, they all made their way to the meeting. Little did they know a cadet would be rewarded for their dedicated work in JROTC. 

Everyone gathered in the gym and once they entered saw three Marine personnel. Once everyone was settled they asked Cadet Major Ana Catherine Forthman from the AFJROTC program to come to the front with the Marine personnel. She was then awarded a $230,000 scholarship presented by the United States Marine Corps. 

“I was ecstatic upon hearing that I had received the scholarship. I felt as though a giant weight had been lifted off of me, as I was not sure what my future would entail,” Cadet Forthman said.

She received this scholarship for earning their trust and showing them that she is a reliable and responsible cadet and deserved to receive the scholarship. This scholarship allows her to go to any college she desires to go to. Ana is going to A&M in College Station where she plans to join the Corps of Cadets and wants to be a part of a Marine unit. 

“The program built a family for me. A bond with a group of individuals that I will have a hard time letting go of within the next couple of months. It built me to be a successful individual striving for more with every step, surrounded by people who want the same,” Cadet Forthman said.

Ana expressed her gratitude in the connections she has made here at Wylie High School. Reflecting back on it after this impactful event she continues to show that it’s more than just the work put in but the character that counts just as much.